When Being Good At Business Isn’t Enough
If you run a successful business out of your home, there will be some businesses that will NOT do business with you for one or more the following reasons:
- You don’t have a business address that would allow you to be listed in all the local business directories. These directories allow your customers to leave reviews about your business and they can give the illusion that your business is bigger than it actually is.
- Your business may not be incorporated or at least an LLC.
- You may look like you have no employees because all of your workers are independent contractors.
- Businesses that don’t know any better will often judge your success by your footprint in social media. They look only at the numbers indicated by Facebook likes, Twitter followers, LinkedIn connections and YouTube video views. Most of the time, the people making these snap judgments have no clue that social media is about gaining exposure and traffic through engagement instead of acquiring a massive community that doesn’t know you, like you, trust you or interact with you.
- You may work with clients that do not want their competitors to know that they are working with you. In cases like this, it is impossible to show prospective clients a true portfolio of your successes.
Unfortunately, a lot of medium and large sized companies are still run by management that is clueless about online marketing.
The only thing they may know about online marketing is that their customers are looking for products and services online and that their business needs a presence online to maintain their market share.
This old-school thinking often leads these companies to established advertising agencies that are almost as clueless about online marketing as they are.
A savvy advertising agency may be able to put up a front well enough to get the contract and then be smart enough to find the qualified online marketer or marketers that are needed to generate a unified message and brand that will produce winning campaigns across all mediums.
If you are unlucky enough to encounter one of these old-school corporations, shrug it off and say NEXT instead of taking it personally.
Last 5 posts in Business Success
- 3 Types Of Additional Income Streams For Local Business - June 17th, 2017
- Does Your Local Business Have A Residual Income Option? - June 3rd, 2017
- 5 Mistakes Local Business Startups Make - December 31st, 2016
- How Reputation Marketing Can Help Your Local Business - September 24th, 2016
- 3 Mistakes Consultants Make With Business Owners - September 10th, 2016