Your Local Business And SEO
Your local business website needs some basic search engine optimization (SEO) in order to be properly categorized by the search engines and to beat competition.
Local businesses have a distinct advantage over global competitors when it comes to getting found by people looking for locally owned businesses to patronize.
There are many reasons your site has an advantage over a global competitor during a local search when both of you are correctly doing search engine optimization. Some of these reasons are:
- Your site is geo-targeted. A properly optimized local site will have your business name, address, phone number and hours of operation displayed on every page of your site. Most, if not all, of this information would have also been placed in the code of your webpage by the people that are doing your search engine optimization for you.
- Your business is usually competing against fewer than 100 businesses within your community and many of them are either doing search engine optimization incorrectly, inconsistently or not at all.
- Local business directories such as Yelp, Yahoo Local, Bing Local, Foursquare and more are excellent back links for your website in addition to being additional ways you can attract customers.
- You can geo-target videos that you place on YouTube which will help narrow it down so that you are only competing with your local competitors instead of competing globally.
- Local businesses almost always get shown first when searches are done from a mobile device
- Customer reviews are prominently displayed along with your local listing in the search results which means that your prospective customers can clearly see your good reputation before deciding who they want to do business with.
- You can easily display a map on your website showing where you are located in the community along with the ability for your prospective customers to get driving directions from the same page.
- As a local company with a local business listing, you can show that listing in your pay per click ads which is a huge perk. Without paying any extra, your business name, address, phone number and reputation directly below your ad. This gives you a lot more exposure than your global competitor and an interested prospect may pick up the phone and call you instead of clicking on your ad.
When SEO is done correctly in conjunction with a system to collect customer reviews, it is much easier to get a local business to the top listing in local search than it is to try and rank the website globally.
Since approximately 30% of all desktop searches done on Google are done with a local modifier, you want your business to do well in local search.
You want the search engine optimization company that you hire to be able to work with you on putting the review system in place and ranking your site for local search rather than using tactics that are geared towards ranking your business in the global environment.
Last 5 posts in Marketing
- 4 Ways to Grow Your Business Through Referrals + My Thoughts - October 14th, 2017
- Why Retargeting Works And Why You Should Use It - October 13th, 2017
- 3 Ways To Stretch Your Online Paid Advertising Budget - October 7th, 2017
- You Need These 4 Things For Your Business Online Reputation - September 23rd, 2017
- Are You Continuously Building Your Online Reputation? You Should Be - September 16th, 2017